When carried out properly and in a professional manner, a bathroom renovation project will make your home more enjoyable and increase its value over time. Unfortunately, we’ve all heard about home improvements gone wrong. There is never a shortage of stories about unfinished projects, poor workmanship, projects taking much longer than expected, and final bills that blow the budget.
Many homeowners don’t know what to look for when choosing a bathroom remodeling company, which is often how they wind up choosing one they aren’t happy with … and having a terrible experience.
Here are four characteristics to look for – and the questions to ask – so you can choose the right remodeling company … the first time.
It is important that any business you choose will be there for you now and in the future, if you need them. It isn’t enough to ask the contractor if they are stable. Instead, look for tangible proof of longevity and financial security.
- Do they have a real, physical office location?
- Do they have the required business licenses to work in your township?
- Are they registered as a home improvement contractor with the Pennsylvania Office of Attorney General?
- Can they provide proof of general liability insurance?
- Do they provide a variety of payment options (not a cash-only business)?
You can tell a great deal about the company by what others are saying – or not saying – about them. Any remodeling firm can provide three references, so it is important that you take the time to do some deeper digging to make sure the company is reputable.
- Do they feel comfortable providing several customer references and allowing you the time to talk to them?
- Are they members of a community or industry organization like the Home Builders Association?
- Have they won awards or received recognition for a job well done?
A good remodeling firm doesn’t just do good work, they also treat their customers right. It’s often the little things that make a big difference, and being respectful of you, your property, your kids, and your pets should be considered.
- Do they have professional installers who are experienced in bathroom remodeling (not a jack-of-all-trades)?
- Does the company have a strong image – with logos visible on their vehicles, apparel and company ID badge – so you know exactly who you are letting into your home?
- Did they provide a “ballpark” quote or give you a fixed-price quote so you know exactly how much the renovation will cost?
- Will they provide a satisfaction survey after the job is complete?
- Will they handle all needed building permits in an efficient manner?
- Did the company sales rep go over the sales agreement, answer all of your questions and give you time so you could be comfortable with your decision?
Ultimately, any company has to be competent and do the job right the first time. This comes as a result of the company investing in training, experience and good, old-fashioned hard work.
- Does the company back up their work with a money-back guarantee?
- Can they provide you with before and after photos of many past jobs?
- Can they provide you with many product options, or are they limited to one supplier (often true with cover-up franchise companies)?
- Do they offer a warranty on product and workmanship?
The Re-Bath & More Bathroom Remodeling Experience
Remember, your remodeling experience doesn’t have to be difficult. You don’t have to put up with pushy sales processes, poor workmanship, or low-grade materials. When you do some research and ask the hard questions, you can choose the right company the first time that results in an enjoyable bathroom remodeling experience.
Thinking of renovating your bathroom? Download our free Bathroom Remodeling Guide. Inside, you will find the answers you need to the most commonly asked questions about bathroom remodeling, the top five products to consider in your remodel and more.